Dec 5, 2019
Author of several entrepreneurial classics, John Jantsch joins
Dr. Sabrina on today’s show to discuss his latest book, The
Self-Reliant Entrepreneur. This book reflects on John’s own
entrepreneurial journey and the sources of inspiration that he
found along the way. The Self-Reliant Entrepreneur: 366 Daily
Meditations to Feed Your Soul and Grow Your Business taps into
the wisdom of 19th-century transcendentalist literature to provide
daily encouragement and powerful questions to support us in
remaining fiercely self-reliant while chasing our own versions of
Get ready for a fun and deep conversation, during which Dr.
Sabrina and John ask each other powerful questions from The
Self-Reliant Entrepreneur. You’ll get an inside glimpse into
their respective worlds, their entrepreneurial journeys and what
each is working on for the coming year.
John Jantsch is a marketing consultant, speaker, and author of
Duct Tape Marketing, The Referral Engine, Duct Tape Selling,
The Commitment Engine, and SEO for Growth.
In addition to his own writing, speaking and consulting career
Jantsch is a podcasting pioneer, with a continuous string of weekly
podcast episodes dating back to the summer of 2005. He has
interviewed thousands of guests and appeared on the other side of
the mic, as a guest, hundreds of times.
Dr. Sabrina was a recent guest on John’s Duct Tape Marketing
- John’s previous books were “how-to’s”, but he had a desire to
write a book that was more of a “why-to”. His mission has always
been to bring life back into being an entrepreneur.
- John describes the basis for his book, Ralph Waldo Emerson and
Henry David Thoreau, and how the 1850s was one of the first
counter-culture periods in America.
- We have to develop a level of trust and stop letting outside
and subconscious voices control us.
- This level of trust allows us to focus on the things we can
control, which is how we show up and how we respond to everything
that happens. A great deal of stress comes about by trying to
control those things that aren’t in our control.
- Dr. Sabrina shares how we can develop self-trust and the two
practices in her life that taught her to listen to her own voice:
journaling and meditation.
- The Self-Reliant Entrepreneur ends each daily passage
with a powerful question and provides us with an opportunity to
think about life and circumstances from a different perspective.
This can allow us to shift our mindset and yield new insights and
opportunities for us.
- John reads the passage and question that corresponds with Dr.
- What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?
- Dr. Sabrina divulges her next book: The 4 Week Vacation
- John’s answer is that every time he answers that question, he
goes ahead and does it. Therefore, his answer is constantly
evolving. He also relates that the next big challenge is to figure
out a way to maximize his assets.
- Duct Tape Marketing is For Sale!
- A surprising challenge is figuring out who we are when we step
away from the business that is so much a part of our identity.
- It’s important to have clarity around your mission.
- According to John, when people understand their true core
values and they release the need to have a perfectly-refined
purpose, the purpose will find them.
- Listening to her clients' needs is a way that helped Dr.
Sabrina discover her gifts to share in the world.
- Stepping outside his comfort zone has enabled John to stretch
- Staying at the top of the mountain is beautiful scenery, but
not much learning and growth happens there.
Links and Resources:
Get Ready for 2020!! Are you on track to creating a highly
profitable, great place to work that lets you take a 4 Week
Breakthroughs on the Bayou Annual Retreat
For Resources & Tools from Sponsors - https://www.profitbydesignpodcast.com
Subscribe & Share Podcasts! - https://www.profitbydesignpodcast.com/podcasts/
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProfitByDesign/
The Self-Reliant Entrepreneur: 366 Daily Meditations to
Feed Your Soul and Grow Your Business, by John Jantsch
Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small
Business Marketing Guide, by John Jantsch
How to Hire the Best - Contractors Edition, by
Sabrina Starling PhD
The Pumpkin Plan - A Simple Strategy to Grow a
Remarkable Business in Any Field, by Mike
Dr. Sabrina’s Guest Appearance on John Jantsch’s Duct Tape
Connect with John Jantsch: